There is a general documentation available for the EBF Onboarder, where you can find information about its prerequisites and the whole migration project. It describes how you can setup a migration project, how you can setup invitation emails and reminders which guide your users through the migration. It also tells you how to initiate the migration process and how to track the migration status.
This documentation complements the general EBF Onboarder documentation and provides more detailed information to setup Jamf Pro as the target system and also as the source system.
NOTE: The steps for Jamf School are equal to Jamf Pro. The role administrator is used here as well.
02. Prerequisites for Jamf PRO
02.1. Creating the API-User
You need to create an API-User and allow Basic Authentication for APIs to allow the EBF Onboarder to access the Jamf Pro system:
Follow these steps to create the API-User:
- Click on ‘Settings’ in your Jamf Pro instance.
- Click on ‘User accounts and groups’.
- Click on ‘Password Policy’ in the top right and press ‘Edit’.
- Within ‘Allow Basic authentication for the Classic API’ please enable:
Allow Basic authentication in addition to Bearer Token authentication.
- Save the change and go back to ‘User accounts and groups’.
- Click on ‘+ New’ to start the account creation process.
- You can either choose between a local or LDAP account. This guide describes the local account creation.
NOTE: The LDAP account option is only visible after a successful LDAP binding.
- Select ‘Create Standard Account’ and press ‘Next’.
- Enter username and password and select ‘Administrator’ for ‘Privilege Set’. The other fields are optional.
- Click on ‘Save’.
- The EBF Onboarder also needs your Jamf Pro server URL. You can find this URL under ‘Settings’ >> ‘Global’ >> ‘Jamf Pro URL’.
03. Device selection for the source system Jamf Pro
When you setup a migration project with the EBF Onboarder, you will be asked to select the devices you want to migrate (please read the general documentation to learn more about this).
Apply the devices to a group in your Jamf tenant before using the EBF Onboarder.
For Mobile Devices use:
Smart Device Groups
Static Device Groups
For Desktops use:
Smart Computer Groups
Static Computer Groups